DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
08/10/06 05:19 AM
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action

In reply to:

Any of you guys ever even met Jeff Cooper when he was still alive? I have taken 5 classes at Gunsite and spent many many hours with Jeff discussing shooting, guns and hunting, totally enthralled...Not only was he a knowledgable hunter, writer and teacher, he was the father of modern pistol craft...and was way ahead of his time on many issues like the Scout Rifle concept, the CW sling and was correct about the ghost apperature rear sight being better and faster than any other type..

Just my opinion, but unless you have had as much interaction with the man as I have, or more...your comments are totally out of line, as well as incorrect...

thank you

David Winker

Mr. Winker, simply because you knew Mr Cooper, and agreed with his opinions, doesn't make him right in his opinion! So with that thought in mind it is a toss up who is out of line, and incorrect as well!

Mr Cooper was a nice man, who had a large opinion of the worth, of his ideas, that were mostly with weapons designed to kill people! After all, his back ground was in Military combat training, and self defense from armed opponants, not sport hunting.

I'm sorry to see him pass, because he had a place in the self defense magazines, but he was a soldier to the end, and that doesn't necessarily translate into proper design of hunting rifles.

He was good at his chosen field, but his field is not where most hunters interests lie! His creations were not popular in the hunting fields, and I suspect neither are your's, since you agreed with him so much.

I agreed with him on his political views, but certainly not on his choice of hunting rifles. Still, may he rest in peace, though I doubt he would be satisfied with anything as mundane, as "PEACE"!

.............................RIP, COL. SUH!.............................

Contact Us NitroExpress.com