DoubleD
(.400 member)
08/10/06 04:32 AM
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action

I first visited Copper at his home in Big Bear back in the early 70's.. We sat in his living room and talked for several hours about guns and Gunners while he bounced my kids on his knee.

A few months later my shooting coach and I showed up with our revolvers for one of his Combat Pistol matches he use to hold at Big Bear . He told us we would be disadvantaged but most welcome to shoot. It was a moving vehicle match shot from a moving vehicle. After the match when my coach took second and I third, Cooper told everyone gathered to never under estimate a man who knows how to use his tools. It was a humble and eloquent thing for the man to say.

Later after his move to Paulden I visited him again several times as he was building Gunsite. He as usual was a gracious host. He was interesting to visit with and was as good a listener and as speaker. He seemed to respect a different point of view that was supported by good reason and logic.

Jeff Copper was intelligent, eloquent and always a gentlemen. That he has almost a cult following is understandable as he was also very charismatic.

Unfortunately that cult seems quick to cry sacrilege when some does not agree with Copper's philosophy, something the man himself at least back in the 70's when I knew him, would not have done.

That he contributed to the art of shooting there can be no doubt and his philosophy will go on for ever. But his way was not the only answer.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com