DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
01/01/04 08:30 AM
Re: Why big bores?

[quoteThe question probably is,why use a big bore on an animal which can easily be downed with a medium bore.For instance why should one use a 375 H&H MAG.on a deer or impala,it would only ruin the meat,why not use a 270 instead.For big game like cape buff.etc.a big bore is absolutely essential,no question about that. ]

Iqbal,in the first place a 375 H&H is not a big bore,but a medium bore, and your 243, and 270 are small bores.

The reason one uses a 375 on deer, or impala is because that is what he wants to use, in the USA! I can tell you from personal experience that the 270 will ruin far more meat than a 375 H&H, and the 243 will ruin more meat than the 270! Everyone has the wrong idea about meat damage, 90% of the meat damage is caused by velocity, not the size of the bullet! In Africa I have shot little 75 lb Impala with a 375 H&H 300 gr Nos Part, and lost no meat at all! Bored a clean .375 hole right through, and dropped him in his tracks. A 375 H&H @ 2500 fps with a 300 gr Nosler partition will barely open up on a 200 lb muledeer, but will punch a .375 hole right through, and you can eat right up to the hole. A 243 pumping 3000 fps with a 100 gr bullet will bruise a lot of shoulder, and you can forget a Texas heart shot with the 243, or 270, on a going away muley,or elk, because it will only gut shoot it, and/or ruin the hams. The 243 is my favorite for cross canyon muledeer hunting, but I will only lung shoot them. In regard to the Impala, the plains game rifle, used in Africa, absolutely must be enough to handle what ever you run into. Simply because you are only hunting Impala,makes no difference when you break through the jesse, and meet a Cape Buffalo face to face? If you are carrying a 243, or 270 what do you do? pray I say. You better hope he doesn't want to fight, and if he does, you might want to use that little rifle to commit suicide so it doesn't hurt so bad when he gets to you! If at close range, you might be in trouble with the 375 H&H as well!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com