The_Professor
(.224 member)
21/07/06 09:00 PM
Re: WHATS YOUR WORST BIG BORE THUMPER??

I had a 375 H&H in a Remington KS Mountain Rifle. It weighed 6.5 Lbs and I tried to shoot it off the bench. I hated it! I put a large folded towel over my shoulder, instead of softening the blow it hurt me from my left ear to my right knee. I shot some big NT boars with it and felt nothing, but I still sold it!
I now have a 460 Weatherby with a brake. On this forum 460 Weatherby's with a brake are anathema!
I have a 375 Weatherby on a Ruger #1 Custom (long time members will remember the story of the hunt I did with NitroX) the #1 is still tough off the bench but much more manageble than the remington. I have bought a double in 9.3x74r plus 16 bore drilling (see other thread) I intend to use this in OZ for NT boars Vic Sambar and anything else that moves.
I have reloaded the 460 with the 400 grn Woodliegh at a very manageable 2600 fps. We shot a feral cat with it and it blew the back half off the cat as if it had been dissected in half. I have read a great deal about "shock" and I think this may be an example of shock. See Gregor Woods on Rifles for Africa, whilst respecting Boddington as I do he has a very different position on the need for magnum rifles!
PS I have spoken personally to many PHs about brakes and their almost unanimous opinion is to shoot a rifle that you can hit the target with! but they are probably mostly deaf! Don't tell anyone else on this forum that I have a rifle with a brake or they won't speak to me, but I reakon that if you need to shoot rabbit, goat, duck pig or paper, at some time in your life you need a 460 Weatherby.

Regards,
The Professor.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com