Judson
(.300 member)
20/05/06 08:34 AM
Re: Building a custom big game rifle

When laying out the actual checkering I use a double line cutter. One edge of the cutter is placed in the master line and the edge cuts, or more to the point scores out the next line. The double line cutter is then moved over to this new line and you do this process again marking out the next line. This process is repeated untill all the lines in one direction are marked out, then you start on the other master line and go through it all again untill all the diamonds are layed out.
There are several things to remember when doing this. First, I leave the tape in place because on the back stroke of the checkering tool you can feel the tape if you hit it and this helps to prevent run overs. Also reverse the stock, (direction you are cutting) after every few lines otherwise you will find your lines angle off very slightly but this adds up by the time you get finished. Consentrate on the edge of the tool that is in the prevously cut line, the edge guiding the cutting of the next line. Do not look at the line being cut, for what ever reason, if your eye wonders so does the cutter.
Use almost no pressure on the tool let the teeth do all the work. Each pas will deepen the lines slightly, if your fingers are getting sore then you are using way too much pressure.
Use a magnifer and get the brightest light you can find so that it angles across the checkering casting shadows into the cut lines, this makes every thing show up much better. Most important is to go slow and as soon as you loose your consitration quit for a time. When checkering do not bother to look at the clock if you want a good job look at the calinder, it takes lots of time!
After every thing is layed out the diamonds have to be deepened so they point up and are sharp, I will get into that in my next post.
If any of you have questions or coments please feel free to bring them up! Here should be a picture of half of the pattern layed out but the diamonds have not been deepened and pointed up.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com