Judson
(.300 member)
19/05/06 06:21 AM
Re: Building a custom big game rifle

When the stock is basically finished it is time to decide on checkering. I usually lay out different patterns using fine strips of tape for a point pattern and both thin tape and cut out tape patterns for the fill in designs. Using the tape allows me to give the customer an idea of what the pattern will look like, and also make changes untill they are happy with the lay out. Point patterns are checkering patterns where the lines which form the diamonds also end up being the pointed edges of the pattern. A fill in pattern on the other hand is of any shape where the edges of the pattern are hand cut and have no relation to the lines of the diamonds. If this picture comes out it is an example of a fill in pattern which I did on the double rifle I built.

Once a pattern is decided on the master lines have to be cut. These master lines determine the size of the diamond as far as length and width. In the U.S. about 3.5 times the width seems to be the most popular, in Europe they seem to liker longer diamonds many times not pointed but flat toped.
I lay out the master lines using an Exact knife just scratching through the finish. I deepen them with a 60 degree single line cutter. Once this is finished the actual checkering or really the laying out the diamonds begins. I will try to post a picture showing the tape borders and the master lines on the grip and forearm of the double.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com