DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
29/04/06 04:43 AM
Re: Manchester Whitworths

4seventy assuming everything you posted is true, and I have no way of knowing it isn't, I have just one question, I would like you to answer! Why are all my Whtiworth rifles stamped " Whitworth, Manchester, England", and the marks on the barrel and action are indeed a crown over "V" ? The reason I ask this question is, the USA has a rule in the import law that requires products imported into the USA, have the country of origin perminantly affixed to the product. In the case of the Whitworth, the CZ is affixed to the action, along with the Whitworth, Manchester address, and the importer Interarms. The other rifles imported by interarms only have the CZ, and the importers marks on them. To me, this follows the import laws for the USA, but I can't say for other countries.

PS: On page 193 of 13th addtion of GUN TRADER'S GUIDE in regard to the

[b"]WHITWORTH EXPRESS RIFLE,AFRICAN SERIES .........................$450

Mauser-type bolt action. Calibers: 375 H&H Mag, 458 Win Mag, three shot magazine, 24 inch barrel. Weight: about 8 pounds. 3-leaf express open rear sight,ramp front sight with hood. English-style stock of European walnut,with cheekpiece, black foreend tip, checkered pistol grip, and forearm, recoil pad, QD swivels. Made from 1974 to date, by Whitworth Rifle Co., England."

On page 192 of this same book, regarding all the other Zastava actioned rifles imported by Interarms: The following Mark X rifles are manufactured by ZAVODI CRVENA ZASTAVA, ( CZ) Belgrade, Ugoslavia!

The Mark X Alaskan 375 H&H, 458 Win Mag

The Mark X sporting rifle 22-250, 243, 25-06, 270, 7x57, 7mm RM, 308 Win, 30-06,and 300 Win Mag.

The Mark X Cavalier....Same as above

The Mark X Continental Mannkicher carbine 270,7x57, 308, 30-06

The Mark X Marquis Mannlicher carbine

The Interarms Mark X Viscount

The whitworth issue is one that sorely needs verification, and it is welcome, no matter how it turns out, as long as there is some backing for the data!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com