DoubleD
(.400 member)
28/04/06 07:53 PM
Re: Living with MUZZLEBRAKES

Actually Judson, the effect from the escaping gas is supposed to be mentioned in the mysterious papers. I don't find the idea unbelieveable, after all look at how a balloon flies around the room when the air escapes. Those escaping gases must contribute something to recoil. How much who knows.

The M14 flash supressor is another example of what you are saying. I can't say I ever noticed any recoil reduction from shooting that rifle with it's flash supressor. I do recall being told the web at the bottom of the supressor was wider to diminish dust signature while firing prone.

Getting a knowledgable Rifle stocker to personally fit the rifle stock to you and then practice shooting that rifle a lot starting with light loads and working up to full loads will build up recoil tolerance over time. If that doesn't work find a different caliber.

My personal feeling on using a muzzle brake is if you must have a muzzle brake to be able to shoot a specific rifle then you need to find a different calibar.

Bottom line was that all muzzle brakes work to reduce recoil.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com