NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/12/03 03:47 PM
"Nitro Express" - why?

As most of you would know the term "Nitro Express" originated from the combination of Nitro Cellulose, the base of cordite, the propellant which replaced Black Powder. And the the word "Express" to indicate speed, named after the "Express Trains" of the time. These trains were considered very fast and the latest proof of the sophistication of the Industrial Age. Perhaps also the imagery that the projectile hit with the force of an "Express Train". Who said marketing was traditional in the 1890's?

"Nitro Express" was the "Magnum" term of the age. Even the philosophy was similar. Magnums were pre-dominantly smaller bores and very fast, relying on shock. While we think of NE's as large bore and slower, relying on penetration, infact compared to the lare-bore BP cartridges of the day, they almost exactly paralled "magnums" some 70 years earlier. Smaller bores and much faster. A 8-bore vs a .450 Nitro Express.

The first "Nitro Express" cartridge I believe was the .500/.450 3 1/4" NE and probably created by H&H. Alternately the .450 3 1/4 NE by Rigby? (But please correct me if I am wromg.)

Now my question.

Who owns the term "Nitro Express"? I am not asking for any reason just interest. For example if a manufacturer wanted to bring out a 'new' Nitro Express could they? Perhaps the .400 and .465 H&H Magnums have also Nitro Express designations like the much earlier .375 H&H Magnum?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com