JoeR
(.224 member)
18/01/06 12:36 PM
Re: Winchester to cease producing the M70

Actually, they're stopping production when, IMHO, the quality of their product was coming up significantly. Just got a Safari Express in 458 two weeks ago and it is a much better rifle than the last Safari I bought (375) and ditched. New one has NECG rear sight, Williams extractor that easily slips over round in chamber giving it a four shot capacity, one piece bottom metal, newer Miller design stock, and overall fit and finish is superb, everything's straight, feeds just fine, shoots pretty much to POA right out of the box over the irons. Can't find anything that needs to be fixed just yet, and, it's a much smoother action than my BRNO. Maybe Winchester quality has gotten pretty dismal, but this is still a classic rifle. I took two rifles to Zim in 94, a (Roberts era) Rigby in 416 Rigby, and a Safari Express, pretty much as out of the box in 375 as a backup rifle. Apprentice PH from another group passes through our camp in Chewore and asks me if he can see my rifle. I proudly produce my London work of art, and he says, no, not that one, I want to see the Winchester which he fawned all over. The Safari Express was his dream rifle and he was going to get himself one as soon as he could afford it!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com