Ndumo
(.300 member)
10/01/06 08:13 AM
Re: DG Rifle: 450 Rigby or 450 AHR

akrange

Since I wrote the article in early 2004, i have had a few more results to share. In the time since then, I continued to hunt DG with it, both as PH and one buff cow for the councill of the hunting concession. This resulted in me taking another 6 shots at buffalo, and 2 at elephant. A client also fired another shot at an already downed elephant. The results were as follows:

elephant 1 - client asked me to back him on angled from behind side on heart/ lung shot. (say 75 deg. instead of 90) His shot was placed perfectly, mine about 6 inches higher, over heart. I was using a 550gr Rhino solid brass bullet, loaded to ~2300ft/sec. The bullet penetrated to the other side's humerus, and propably cracked it, because as soon as the ele wheeled and put some pressure on that leg, he collapsed. The skinners recovered the bullet next to a broken bone in the off shoulder. I did not see the exact spot, so relied on their account for this one.

elephant 2 - side brain shot on wounded bull, swinging to come. Bullet exited. bullet used- 500gr GSC Flat nose solid @ ~2400ft/sec.

elephant 3 - client fired into alreday downed bull as insurance, into chest, below middle, exited into soft ground after penetrating about 1.5 m. Unfortunately I was also not present on this recovery, and had to rely on what skinner and the skin panel told me.

buffalo 1 - I was hunting a cow for the council, took a shot at an badly angled buff from behind with a 550gr Rhino soft. Shot penetrated the rumen, lodged in the off shoulder, but damaged only one lung. (cannot find the specific bullet right now, but if I remember correct, 98% was recovered) After a short follow up (about 600m), I found the cow with head hanging low. as soon as she tried to run, I shot her again, this time from 25 yards. This shot took her in the middle of the neck, and exited in the middle of her forehead. 2nd bullet used- 550gr Rhino solid.

buffalo 2 - client asked me to back on buff , 550gr Rhino soft exited squarely through both shoulders. exit wound showed good expansion.

buffalo 3 - backup shot into rump of badly shot buff, 550gr Rhino solid. The shot definately braked him, but the bullet tumbled, and was recovered in the rumen. I have since stopped using these solids as they are extremely long, (1.7 inches or 43mm), and I figured that I am having stabilization problems.

buffalo 4 - charging buff, shot from about 20 yards, into centre of chest, bullet used 550gr Rhino soft. Recovered weight 540.7gr. recovered from just below the bladder, in pelvic region. As the buff broke off the charge, I took a shot angled from behind, hitting about a foot behind the right shoulder, bullet exited on humerus of left shoulder, which left a big crater.

Except for these, I have also carried this rifle on numerous other hunts, but luckyly did not have to use it. However, I have 100% confidence in it, and I know it will deliver when the chips are down.

BTW- I still do not have much luck with the Bertram Brass, even after rebarreling the rifle, as well as having the bolt trued. Some still give slightly sticky extraction even with very low loads, and I use them only for practice.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com