NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/09/23 08:30 PM
Re: Big bores sights, open, scopes or other?

Gentlemen, Thanks for the comments.

Attitudes and preferences change. Sometimes forced on us.

Why?

A scope on a modern rifle is a great sighting aid and advantage. Many think mandatory. A scope can allow better accuracy at longer ranges and more precise shooting.

Some shooters neglect their skills and have never used open sights. I'm old school and think newbies should learn with a air rifle, rim fire or low powered centre fire with open sights first. Then go to a scope.

But a scope can be a handicap at close ranges especially extremely close ranges. Close brush hunting.

Sometimes a scope can fog or mist, right when you need it. Good scopes should not fit internally.

Some believe they are anything that can go wrong hunting dangerous game. Professional Hunters rarely have a scope on their big bore rifles.

Big bore rifles recoil. Non quality scopes are not advisable. Use of a scope on a very heavy recoiling rifle or crawling forward can result in a "Weatherby eyebrow". Who hadn't had one?

Open sights suffer from long range shots being harder. Once upon a time shooters used them well even at longer ranges. Failing or eyesight issues can make them difficult.

A good wide V open sight is very quick at close ranges. And in heavy bush.

A 1x red dot sight can substi5ute for open sights, fast close range, might work fine for some eyesight issues. NOT a great longer range site unless magnified.

My attitude has been that scopes only go rifles up to the .400s class. Up to the .435 or there abouts.

Scopes should always be attached with QD mounts. And rifles fitted with open of alternate fast sights.

Scopes on big borex should be variable with as close to a 1x or 1.5x as possible. If fixed a 1 1/2x or 3x. The reticle should be a pointed post or picket post with fine cross hair with heavier side bars ideally. The German #4 otherwise. I can't afford new Euro illuminated scopes. But good for low light.

My .375 Whitworth M98 has a QD scope fitted. It might be a temporary 4x Leupold on there now. I need to refit a variable starting at a 1x or 1.5x variable. I think I need 30 mm QD rings. QD mounts, with the bases groovedtp allow Express rear sight use.

I've used the .375 with the Express sights for BGRC comps. Never hunting.

My 9.3x74R Tikka 512SD U/O DR has a terrible flimsy flip up rear sight leaf with a tiny U and a chunky foresight blade. Not very useful. Oneday something might be done about the open sights. The standard detachable Valnet mounts are not QD. They have a screw and coin dial to remove. Maybe customised levers could be fitted? It wears a 1 1/2 - 5x Nightforce illuminated scope with some weird sniper reticle. A dot, a circle and some pointed side bars/arrows. Actually quite fast.

I've only used the scope for a dozen plus buffalo, plus scrub bulls,pigs, warthog, deer etc.

My Mauser M03 .404 has Mauser QD mounts and a 1 1/2-5x scope. The open sights are the "African" broad V and work well. I've used both the scope and Express sights on game and targets. But not enough hunting with it yet.

My .450 NE WJ Jeffrey is a pre WW1 DR. Express leaves and white front sight when the bead does not fall off. I've used it relatively a lot, all open sights. I'm far betterusing it relatively close range. Not confidant at "longer" range, say 100 to 200 yards. I need to practice with it more at these ranges. I should be able to hit a buffalo's chest reasonably at 150 yards, even 200 yards?

My .500 BP EXP, .58 DR ML, .45/70 DR and 10-bore all have open sights. I'd like to fit a dot sight to the Baikal .45.70. I'd never put a dot sight on a borerifle. These are mostly safe queens still.

My opinion is a .500 and up really aren't for scopes. Personal opinion. The .450s, maybe, maybe not. Up to the individual and especially the rifle.

Scopes vs dot type sights

Ageing or poorer eyesight. Opensights may not be usable. So far I am lucky and still think I can. I used to have excellent eyesight. It deteriorated, but improved a couple of years ago to 20/20, 6/6. Excellent distance resolution. I needed reading glasses, haven't worn them for 15 months. Breathing? Ha ha, I reckon it got worse again. My diabetes affects it or other health issues.

Using a handgun, at 25 m the target does become a little blurry trying to switch between the sights and target.

So I'm hoping to still use express sights for some time.

Astygitism (splg?) make Red dots stars. Very annoying. I'm hoping a triangle arrow A dot is better.

I think others dot sights make an excellent alternative to Express or open sights. Probably better.

I think an ideal setup would be a QD scope or scopes. Open sights but acQD dot sight if the scope is removed, particularly if ones eyesight needs it.

Vintage double rifles and rifles

Good people don't like abusing their vintage rifles, drilling them for mounts etc.

But a cool idea shown on these forums was to remove the existing rear sight, express sight and replace it with a grooved one. Fit a dot sight. The vintage rifle can be returned to vintage in the future.

I'll probably do that one day to my .450 Jeffery so I can keep using it. I hope the change doesn't affect regulation.

In theory going from a scope to dot sight, to open sights might affect regulation. One has to try it out and see.

It's a personal preference. See what others do and why, and make your own decisions. What's works for one may not work for another.

Tag : "Future Article".
#FUTUREARTICLE #JJHFUTUREARTICLE #MYJOURNAL #JJHMYJOURNAL

Contact Us NitroExpress.com