grandveneur
(.400 member)
23/08/23 05:06 PM
Re: Big Bores for Smaller Game

Quote:

Quote:

I once shot a bustard with the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum and a 500gr SP bullet, full load.

It was just a big hole at the base of the neck, but otherwise nothing of the meat was destroyed.

Thankfully the meat was not damaged.
Are they edible?
There would not be enough resistance for the transfer of any energy to the bird.

I've blown up Columbia Ground Squirrels with my .17AB and .17AH at up to 350yards (nothing but chunks), and with either ctg. on them to 520yards, instant kills with gut shots. The .17Rem will dismantle them a little further out than those small cased wildcats.

As written, just a big hole at the base of the neck and otherwise no destruction. The bird did not jump up either.

I also once shot a warthog in the chest with my rifle caliber 500 Schüler when he jumped over the road, similar to by a driven hunting. The warthog ran about 20m before it fell over dead. With the same cartridge loaded with a 535gr FMJ bullet at 2400 fps, an elephant with heart shot go down on the place days before.

It's all a question of the resistance of the games body. I have shot quite a few small game with big bore rifles and almost always observed the same thing.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com