NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/07/03 05:25 PM
Re: Big Calibers and Boar Hunting

mradiel

A guess would be the easiest way to tell is by the meat. I had never had true wild boar before I went to Italy last year and stayed at a nice mountain top game lodge. The boar meat was a red meat and quite unlike pork, either domestic or feral. Unfortunately it was out of season so while I stalked some boars and filmed them (it was too dark to work properly) I did not get to hunt them.

The meat from the pigs you have taken - is it white or red? Or am I wrong in thinking boar meat is red?

Some pigs in Australia have begun reverting to the wild version and are known as "razorbacks". Predominantly they exist in the North and are probably helped by the genes from Asian pigs which were also released by Javanese fisherman onto our shores even before white man arrived.

Most pigs hunted in Australia would be less than 80 lbs in weight and that is why so many hunters here think a .243 is ideal or even a 22 Mag or .222 is OK as often they are. When in Europe and especially for quick shots at driven boar heavy calibres are often chosen.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com