buckstix
(.400 member)
17/08/22 09:42 PM
Brevex #12 joins the family - Fred Wells Custom - ? caliber

Brevex #12 joins the family - a Fred Wells Custom - "one-of-a-kind" - unknown caliber

I've posted this on several Forums hoping to get some answers.

Hello All,

I finally found another Brevex Mauser rifle. This makes an even dozen in my Brevex Collection.

I listed it as an "?" caliber .. I should have said "un-heard-of" caliber. Its a Fred Wells Custom Brevex Mauser in a caliber I never heard of, nor can I find any info about it. .. anywhere!

Here are the rifle's specs:

Maker = Fred Wells Custom
Action = Brevex Magnum Mauser
Caliber = 411 Wells Exp
Weight = 12-1/4 lbs (loaded)
Barrel = 25-1/8" A&M Barrel w/ barrel mounted Sling swivel (no sights)
LOP = 15"
Stock = Custom "uncheckered" w/ forward recoil lug (unknown wood) w/ checkered metal grip cap
Scope = 6x42 KAHLES Helia Super 6S2 in Wells Custom Mounts w/ Low Profile Safety
Trigger = Mauser 2-Stage Trigger
Recoil Pad = Pachmayr Solid w/ Black and White Line spacer

Fortunately the rifle came with dies, and brass, and bullets. Bullets are Woodleigh .411 dia 400g Soft Points and Barnes .411 dia 300g Soft Points. Brass is 378 Weatherby Mag resized. Dies are RCBS labeled 405-378.

I've seen rifles chambered in 350 Wells Exp (basically a 378 Weatherby Mag necked down to .350 caliber) This one is 378 Weatherby Mag necked "up" to .411 caliber.

Searching high and low in all my wildcat books (I have many) I cannot find any such caliber. Its basically a forerunner of the 416 Weatherby Mag, except using a slightly .005" smaller diameter bullet, with standard neck and shoulder profile.

In addition, I know nothing about wood, so the stock is also a mystery to me. Its a very dense "reddish" color with distinctive darker stripes of grain. (pictures don't show the reddish color very well because the camera flash washes out the true color) The wood color appears to be almost a rose wood, but its much denser and harder. This density likely accounts for the overall heavy weight of the rifle. (much appreciated when shooting) The stock has been left "uncheckered", perhaps to show-off the stripes in the grain.

Overall craftsmanship is what you would expect from an early Fred Wells rifle. Wood to metal fit is absolutely amazing. Not a sliver of space between them. All the screws are indexed "in-line". Even the screw in the checkered metal grip cap is indexed in-line, and its also tastefully engraved.

(a range report will follow)

Any insight on this rare bird would be appreciated. Here are the pictures: As always all your comments are most welcome.

Here are the family dozen ....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com