szihn
(.400 member)
02/02/22 02:39 AM
Re: The 6 Best Dangerous Game Cartridges

I am very aware of all that John. I spend 11 months in three African countries many years ago and I was in an among elephants dozens of times. But in most cases if the elephants got wind of us they moved off quickly.
No so a cow moose if it has a calf. The don't run from you if you surprise them very often.
And as I said (go back and read) if either of them turn on a hunter or hiker the result is far more likely the elephant will kill the man then the moose. But in my experience (near a year in Africa and 50+ years in the western Rocky's) the moose is the one that is a LOT more likely to attack.

In the last 30 years I have run into 4 grizzlies at under 15 feet when out in the mountains and all of them ran. But I have had to dodge 5 moose. One of which was VERY intent on trying to stomp me. I never had to dodge an elephant, even though I was within 7-10 yards of them, probably 10 times.

This in no way would qualify me as an "expert" on the comparison, but that's not the reason for the post I made.

The reason for my post it to bring a bit of light on what is called "dangerous game" because that was how the article was addressed, and also to bring some thought on the "best" cartridge for use when in danger. The "best" one is the one that saves you if you have to shoot to stay alive.

I don't give a lot of weight to "the best" cartridge but I do give consideration to the use of a firearm and what bullets I'd prefer. The cartridges I have depended on the most for VERY dangerous situations in my life (from about 20 years old until about 35 years old) were not anything special. 7.62 NATO and 45 ACP, and in 2 cases a 41 magnum.

In my 11 months in Africa I used a Mauser quite a few times chambered in 404 Jeffery. Ammo was some old Kynoch, but more RWS stuff made in the 70s. Never had any problems with either one, but the British ammo was loaded about 200 FPS slower then the German ammo if I recall correctly.

I never had ANY opportunity to use other guns or cartridges at all, and I never felt any deficiency at all either. So if I would have had a bunch of guns to choose from I doubt I would have changed. I never saw anything wrong what what I had.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com