szihn
(.400 member)
01/02/22 12:49 PM
Re: The 6 Best Dangerous Game Cartridges

"Dangerous game" is a term thrown around that has come to mean something a bit more specific then what the definitions of those 2 words would convey if you look them up in a dictionary.

Here in Wyoming the 2 animals we have that can be most dangerous are the 2 species of bears, the Black and the Grizzly. If we look at statistics it's mathematically proven the black bear is more likely to maul you, but the grizzly is more likely to kill you if you get mauled.

We also have cow moose with calves, and mountain lions as well as wolves. Statistically of those 3 the one that has hurt and killed the most people is the moose, and the lions and wolves are not even close.

So what does the word "dangerous" really mean?

Next I would point out that any animal (other then the 2 legged types) is not dangerous until it can touch you, so in some cases a cow moose in thick alders is WAY more dangerous then elephant in semi-open scrub. Not because of the animals, but because of the fact that in places here in the mountains you may not see the moose before it's within 10 feet of you.
Is the moose more likely to come at you then the elephant? Probably.

But the elephant is more likely to kill you if it does.

So....which is more "dangerous"?

Now, if I knew I was going to be pushing alders aside just to walk, and I had a high probability of running into Miss Moose and I had a choice of my 404 Jeffery or my M1 Garand I'd probably take the M1. I keep it loaded with 220 grain RN ammo and it's been 100% reliable in the 40 years I have owned it and used it.

But the old 30-06 is not even considered as a "dangerous game round" by most.

Yet the ability to strike with one to eight 30-06 rounds and have no problem with recoil and recovery time makes me believe that at near bayonet distance the battle worthy M1 would be a better tool then a bolt action 404. And I am also sure the 404 would be to be fine, but perhaps just not AS good as the M1 in that particular situation.

In the real world, those with a lot of hunting experience understand that such articles are written not so much as guidelines to new hunters as they are to fill pages.

There is nothing at all wrong with the choices he picked, but the most important thing in any life or death encounter is the MAN.

Just as a side note: I usually carry one of my 9.3s, my 375H&H or my 404, but I feel the ability to make good, fast, accurate hits is more important then the cartridge case. I feel very well armed with my AR10 in 358 or my old M1 in 30-06.

I'd discuss BULLETS for dangerous situations and believe some value and/or merit was being passed along,...... but discussions of cartridges is over emphasized, especially when someone says what is "best".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com