Evan
(.224 member)
29/12/21 07:35 AM
Re: A few big bore projects

The new law in Canada hasn't come into effect yet. Well it has but there is an amnesty for the people who had guns that became prohibited. So I'm still allowed to own it just not shoot it or remove it from my house (unless I take the barrel off then I'm allowed to own both pieces).

so due to the amnesty, no one has been arrested for this yet so there is no case law and we don't how the courts are going to decide what the term "capable" means.

the wording of the law is VERY vague and it uses the work "capable" in the working for the 10,000 Joules part of the law

there is many threads on Canadian gun forums that range from 10's to 100's of pages long trying to argue what "capable" means. (we don't know until its in the courts)

as of right now the RCMP are prohibiting any rifle that has a FACTORY load about 10k joules. so my 460 weatherby is prohibited in Canada, along with all the mark V and any rifle chambered in 460 weatherby (only the 460 version is prohib, rebarrel and you are fine.)

my 500 Jeffery is NOT prohib as there are no factory rounds that push it over 10k Joules. (it has more case capacity so if loaded to the same pressure as the 460 it would be more powerful. but luckily no factory load did this)

so I had though about setting my barrel back a turn and shortening my 460 dies to make a new round that would NOT chamber a factory 460 case. then make up a name for it and make up a load for it. then I had also thought about just buying a 416 barrel and going 416 weatherby, both are similarly easy (but if I get a 416 I want it to be a 416 Rigby)

(in the future the word "capable" may ruin that for me, as even a 308 win is "capable" of making 10k joules only once, it doesn't state anything about factory ammo (that's just what the police are going off of now as they have no direction from the courts), so I'm sure it will evolve into even worse)

sorry for the long past. it just gets me fired up when I think about it (the law was intended to get rid of 50bmg bolt rifles as they were non restricted in Canada)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com