NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/21 11:27 PM
Re: Moving up in size

I'm just making the point, again, an elephant will drop just as fast with a brain shot irrespective of whether it is with a 275, 375 416 450 500 or 600.

My only experience is with a 450 NE. Both elephants collapsed also instantly from the one FMJ each. Yes we did shoot each at least once again. One, several times as the PH was not sure if he thought it was just stunned or not. Neither was, both died instantly with the first bullet.

As for the 500 vs lesser calibre it is again not my opinion nor do I have the experience myself. I have been told many times by people with great experience whose opinion I respect. That the 500 NE is a substantial jump over the 450, which is a jump over the 416 etc etc.

A less than perfect shot is when differences are more important especially as calibres shrink.

Obviously similar for buffalo.

An experienced PH told me for wounded lion he liked a 500 or 577 or similar, A-square bolt action, or whatever those are called, it was for wounded lion follow up. Because it just dropped them so quickly.No personal experience on shooting lions at all. Just live one's circling in the dark.

As for recoil of course. One needs to be able the recoil of whatever one is using. That is assumed. I haven't been worrying about unknown people's tolerance for recoil.

I am pretty much repeating the same in each post again and again. If any one is getting irked that it is somehow personal that's in their head not mine. No need to imagine arguments.

The thread opener is interested in a 500, why not? Lots of members have500s, 577s and what not. If they want I say go for it. I've wanted a 500 NE DR. Even more a 577 NE DR.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com