Rule303
(.416 member)
11/09/21 07:29 PM
Re: Moving up in size

Quote:

Quote:

Thats right shot placement is king but if you can put a big bullet where it has to go would that not be the best of two worlds??

Correct.

If one misses the charging elephants brain with a minimal degree one is probably killed. Missing by the same amount with a 500 the elephant is probably flattened.

Irrespective on how "quick A PH says one calibre kills with a brain shot vs another also with a brain shot.

John I think you need to go and re read my post as it is clear you have taken it totally incorrectly. That comment from my PH would have been made regardless of calibre. He did not say it was because of the calibre but shot placement and the Hydro. The fact was the elephant dropped quick which belies the general boast that a bigger calibre is always better. The fact I was using a 416 Rigby was good in that it is about my recoil tolerance, a larger calibre would most likely have resulted in a wounded animal, not a dead one. World of difference I am suspecting you do not understand going by your thinly veiled extremely sarcastic replies clearly directed at me.

So a person using a 500 that is too much gun for them will most likely miss a killing, even a stopping/turning shot. So how is that a good thing???

Yes if a person can put a larger/more powerful projectile where it needs to be then yes it should be better. Even a near miss with a larger calibre may not put the animal down it may or may not stun it/turn it. If it does slow the animal in any way and the more powerful the calibre the better the chance, it gives the hunter more time to get a second shot in. I would think this to be fairly obvious.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com