Rule303
(.416 member)
06/09/21 11:56 AM
Re: Moving up in size

Quote:

Going back to the comment "what would 500 kill that a 416 couldn't?"

It's simple, any experienced DG hunter can tell you, that a 500 is far more a killer and effective than a 450 and a 416 and a 375 etc.

And if hunting in thick cover or a wounded DG beast, a 500 is an obvious better choice.

And if hunting elephant an obvious better choice.

A 416 is a compromise rifle. A good clients rifle. Better for plains game by far than a 500. But a 500 is far better for DG.

On the good old days one would have both. And call for the 500 from the gun carrier when needed.

Experience says otherwise. Last Elephant I shot-my second- was with a 416 Rigby and 400grain Woodleigh Hydro from 18 paces. My PH said he had never seen an elephant drop as quick. I had not manged to recover from recoil before it was flat on the ground.

OK now lets put this in perspective. This is an example of 1. An exceedingly small sample size. However the 416 Rigby is about the top of my recoil tolerance so anything that kicks more would/could have resulted in poor shot placement. So a 416 Rigby is a far better stopping rifle for me than the 500 cals. However a 500 would be a better "Turning" Calibre. That is hit the animal somewhere near vitals or bone and the animal turns away.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com