Rule303
(.416 member)
06/09/21 07:19 AM
Re: 375 H&H vs 9.3x62-Cartridge-clash

Quote:

Hi Rule303,

Sorry for this rather off topic.
I must disagree about the statement "...US studied the 8X57 and used it's dimensions but lengthened for greater powder capacity and hence greater velocity."

At that times, the 30-03/30-06 size was a mistake, a waste of material, and innecesarily large capacity. With the powders available then, the 8x57 and, specially, the 7,65x53 (the first truly Mauser designed cartridge), were a lot more efficient and rational designs.
The 30-06 never achieved the ballistic efficiency and performance of the German military 8x57 IS. Or the 7,65x53 one, by the way.

Today, with the actual powders, the thing is, somewhat, different of course!

Best regards

PH

Hi PatagonHunter,

What I stated was the actual case, except for the claimed velocities. That part was what the goal of going to the larger case. What you say about efficiency and wasted material is very correct. The greater velocity of the 06 did not match the 8x57 until they dropped the 220grain bullet and went to a 150 grain bullet.

I edited this post as some of it was from memory of an article read many years ago. It was the velocity that had me stumped.

I did not know that about the 7.65X53. Thank you for the info. I am a little bit-not much- more familiar with the 7.5X55 Swiss. Another very good cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com