NorfolkShooter01
(.224 member)
20/08/21 07:21 AM
Re: Moving up in size

Quote:

The most important features of any heavy recoiling cartridge choice is stock fit and weight, but not just length of pull and comb height but also grip diameter and sweep, as well as forend size and shape. If these are wrong then the gun becomes unmanageable, however if you get them correct than the 500's are not difficult to shoot. I have shot many 500 Jeffery's and 500 NE and neither are difficult or unpleasant to shoot if the stock is the right fit in all areas, and the correct weight.

I recently purchased a CZ550 in 505 Gibbs, a cartridge which I have wanted to own for a long time. Now the recoil with the 505 is a noticeable step up from the other two 500's but the real problem is with the stock which has a grip that is way to thick and prevents you from holding on to the rifle properly during recoil. As well as this it has a cheek piece which IMO is totally unnecessary on a stopping rifle. Very few if any British guns in these large calibers ever had a cheek piece, and for good reason as it has a tendency to bash you in the face. As a consequence of that poor stock design I am taking the stock to Ross Waghorn who is magnificent stock maker and having the grip re-shaped and re-checkered and the cheek piece removed. He has done that for almost every CZ 550 regardless of chambering that is in use at the BGRC, and here in Victoria there are a lot as we have a lot of members.

After that has been done the rifle will be pleasant to shoot, well as pleasant as big 500 can be and will be used a lot.
One thing I have noticed is that CZ550's in 505 Gibbs come up for sale quite regularly with Dies and heaps of brass and projectiles which is exactly how I bought mine. It had only fired six rounds by the first owner who sold it on to the next guy who never fired it with the story that he had a 500 Jeffery and didn't need two 500's. However I believe the real reason is that he couldn't handle the rifle during recoil and subsequently sold it, which is what I also believe is the reason for many very complete rifles being sold with almost no shots fired. So don't be afraid to buy a 500, just make sure the gun is fitted correctly at every point.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Fully agree Matt. My 375 feels like a 308 due to the stock. Guys what the general feeling on set triggers for a 500??

Contact Us NitroExpress.com