NorfolkShooter01
(.224 member)
09/08/21 05:54 PM
Re: Moving up in size

Quote:

Quote:

Hi fella's

I'm new to the forum and this will be my first post. I have a 375 h&h and a 416 Rigby double made by Sabatti. The 375 will stay with me as it's one that has saved my skin. I'm considering moving my 416 on and stepping up to a 500 Jeffrey.

My question is how much more recoil might I be looking at? I know it can be mitigated a touch by stock design etc. So lets say the stock and rifle is a custom made rifle to my small 5'3 frame.

Welcome.

I note your 416 is a Sabatti double. Not sure what your 375 is.

A 500 Jeffery would be a bolt action of course.

Good luck on your project. I won't comment much on stock design and weight, except I would go for a classic design and a weight in excess of 10 lbs.

My .450 No. 2 NE double rifle is in excess of 13 lbs, and weighty to carry but not too bad to shoot. It still kicks however.

I would NEVER go for a muzzle break. Hate the things and they should be kept to the range and not the field.

The 375 is an old August Francotte bolt action love the thing. I totally agree when it comes to muzzle breaks.
The proson im potentially using to build the rifle served his apprenticeship at Purdeys and Westley Richards so Im sure he knows what he is doing. I have seen some of his work and I must say it has impressed me. Im gonna pop over to see him at his workshop in the next few weeks

Contact Us NitroExpress.com