NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/04/21 07:43 PM
Re: To 577 or not?

Quote:

John,
I am biased, but I would choose a classic "British" look if it were my project.
Typical short forend with horn forend tip, 26" barrel, enough weight to allow reasonably comfortable shooting with 650grain "Light Nitro" if that were needed. The .577 75 Cordite 650 grain bullet loading does recoil rather convincingly in a light rifle.......

You would certainly have a proper "thumper" stalking rifle. A double .577 2 3/4 Express would be so very "pukka", but there is something about a nice slim single shot stalking rifle in the hands.

This is my Tranter Double Patent .500/.450 #1 Express with 28" barrel from Cogswell & Harrison, circa early 1870's. Of course a .577 would have a more robust looking barrel.
- Mike

That looks good!

I prefer a double, as in true DG hunting a single shot doesn't really cut it. Unless one's gun bearer carries a second rifle close to hand when needed!

I see the .577 as that extra insurance choice when the .450 just isn't enough, for follow up on true dangerous game, or for elephant. I WOULD hope to use even a single shot .577 on say cull cow elephant one day and of course bovines on as many species as possible. Learning to reload and shot a single shot fast and well would be the aim. Alex Beer on NE in the past, shoots his singles fast enough for the BGRC "Special Snap" 8 shots in X seconds, so it can be done.

A Martini-Henry .577 LN would be very cool, and more affordable as well I think.

That big hole in the muzzle would also be very impressive.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com