EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
09/04/21 08:40 AM
Re: To 577 or not?

Quote:

Let me weigh in here.

Saying you have nice Martini action to build on is like saying you have a nice Winchester Lever action to build on.

Which Martini Action do you have?
I do have a chambering reamer for the 2-3/4" version.

Actually I have a couple. One is a short lever (I think Mk IV), I dont have anymore details. The other is a Greener solid frame no safety lever. Thats the one we are considering using for the build.

I was originally gonna build it in 303 with an octagonal barrel but the straight tapper on the barrel (that I ordered) made it much to heavy for my liking. I should have gotten more consult before placing the order. I wanted an octagon but with more taper. Luckily the smith took a liking to it and we traded his 577 for my 303.

A 577 2 3/4 "Light" should be fine for my wants and intended uses. The barrel is a 26inch blank, its not chambered, but it does have a slight taper. Im thinking a single leaf express rear and a barrel band front sight with a folding ivory bead and a barrel mounted sling swivel. The current plan is to rust blue the barrel. Ill have find or make a handgurd to match the original stock, unless I can find new wood but I dont have a clue where to start looking.

I was originally thinking about three or more folding leaves for the rear sight ad being more "correct"; but Im seeing this as a close in gun and a single fixed leaf seems appropriate for that role.

577 2 3/4 is the goal now; but we are waiting to confirm reamer and die availability. Brass is available from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com