JKS
(.224 member)
26/07/05 02:27 PM
Re: OK 'fess up

Call me crazy (or just plain addicted to big bores) but I LOVE shooting varmints with my bigger guns. To me springtime means ground squirrels and rock chucks and lures me to NE Oregon 2 or 3 times from March to May every year.

Sure, I do most of my shooting with my various small bores but I really look forward to blasting the little critters with my heavies. In the "bigger" category I've shot squirrels with my 338 Lapua, 375 H&Hs, 416 Rigbys and my favorite, the 458 Lott. I learned bullet selection is critical in attaining proper terminal performance. With the Lott, solids and X bullets aren't the best for ground squirrels...complete pass throughs with minimal damage When I switched to the lowly Rem 405gr FP I discovered total, complete satisfaction with its on target effect. Total grins and oohs and ahhs from my buddies as something different and awesome occurs. It just doesn't get any better than this. My 17 Rem and 220 Swift frags them for sure, but the Lott with the flat point round puts an exclamation point on it, doing it with a certain panache if you will.

On the last trip this year, my bud and I went through over 2000 17HMR rounds and hundreds of smaller centerfire rounds. I shot almost 100 Lott rounds. I can recall almost all of the Lott shots and they are the most memorable ones of the trip. Next year I will take 200 rounds of Lott per trip.

So yes, I'll fess up and admit to using my big bores for other than DG

John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com