458RugerNo1
(.224 member)
18/07/05 06:59 AM
Re: Why big bores?

Ray pretty much has said it all...

As for me, I simply like the heavy calibers. Their recoil is not an issue to me, in either .375 H&H or .458 Win, and they're fun to shoot and load for. It's really just that simple - they're a blast to shoot.

Yes, I have a .243 Win and like it very much, it's a sweet little rifle that I have for 'yotes, jacks, javelina, etc. When deer season rolls around or for hogs or anything larger than deer I reach for my Ruger RSM .375 H&H most of the time. It's a beautiful rifle, it's accurate and simply a favorite of mine.

All the comments ref blooshot meat are quite true... Nearly all high velocity traditional "deer" cartridges do more meat damage than the heavy calibers do. Also depending what round you're using and the bullet you've selected you may be limited as to your shot angles, placement, etc. With a .375 or .458 there's no such thing as a shot I can't take if it's within range - no matter what size animal you're talking about - deer or moose, grizz, etc. That big, modest-velocity slug will punch end to end if necessary.

To those who are recoil shy and have trouble placing shots well with the heavier calibers, yes it's probably best to stay with cartridges they can shoot well. Shot placement is the most important single factor in dropping game. However for those who are not bothered by recoil it gives an advantage that the lighter calibers cannot give.

Also, for those who do hunt dangerous game and want to learn and know their rifle instinctively, there's nothing like getting out with it and USING it frequently and as often as possible. Target ranges are often very limited as to what you can do as far as training. For sighting in and benchrest work they're tops, but nothing beats getting out in the mountains or fields and shooting from kneeling, sitting or prone thru the grass, brush, over rocks, up and down hill, etc. So taking that .470 or .458 out at deer or elk season is a great way to train basically.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com