NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
14/11/19 06:09 PM
Re: 458 win mag in 458 Lott.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow what an ordeal that was.

In all seriousness, I thot getting a hunting rifle in/out of OZ was as easy as clicking heels on the Red Slippers. By was I wrong!

Did something change in the last 10-15 years? A while back and old friend of mine hunted several times for camels and whatever else you guys have roaming around in the middle of nowhere and he didn't have any trouble getting a gun in.

Different states, different laws.

Very interesting.

I would have thought something like a hunting rifle would be controlled by Federal laws and the local states would have no issues with it. Both Federal import and state local possession laws would apply here also but as far as I know, no state here would restrict a double or a SS or even a bolt rifle being used for legal hunting in that state.

Interesting tidbit of Aussie law there. Every place has its own Spiel on guns, to be sure.

States have authority for firearms laws. But have ceded some auhority via the National Firearms Agreement after 1996 and the gun banner John Howard Prime Minister.

I would NOT want Federal control over all firearms laws. We would end up with the worst parts of state firearms laws over everyone. Also at a Federal level it is another step removed from the citizen.

The NT has liberal firearms laws for its residents. Perhaps the best in Australia. Interstate licensed firearms owners have no problems, as licensed visitors to the state for a period of time, 90 days, have reciprocal rights.

Foreign visitors must comply with state laws they visit. Usually require a licence for the state they arrive in, OR plan to first shoot in. An Internatinal licence or permit granted to a foreignor for a limited period of time. They also need an import permit and an export permit when leaving.

While the Police are usually unsure about it, in theory, if Curl had a Victoria International Permit, he MIGHT be covered for other states as well. The Vic Police told us that. But each state visited must also be consulted. SA Police told me BOTH he didn't need an SA one if he had a Vic Permit, then changed it and said he needed an SA permit as well .... "otherwise how do we know what firearms are in SA?" ..... In SA and maybe (?) Vic a foreign visitor does not need an International to borrow a firearm under a licensed firearms persons supervision. But if you want your own, you need an International Permit.

While NT has excellent laws for citizens, it does NOT have good ones for international visitors bringing in firearms. They are easy about shooters coming to hunt with an NT licensed outfitter. Also for shooters attending a recognised target shooting event, if documentation/letter can be supplied. It is basically IMPOSSIBLE to bring in and even use an Aussie firearm otherwise. Now is this law? The Police say it is. One of our NT members disagrees. But that doesn't help with any legal wrangles if the police decide to act. A court would then decide. Not the best scenario for a foreign guest to have to go through.

I asked the NT police, "So even if I was a property owner, and had foreign guests, I can't even take them out shooting or hunting?" The cop replied, "What happens in the bush we don't know about." BTW he wasn't too bad to deal with. Some NT residents might disagree on the interpretations by the police being made.

Most Aussies have zero knowledge bout this, as most foreign hunters use outfitters by far. Curl was told all sorts of contradictory stuff in Victoria for example. The few who don't use an outfitter probably borrow a firearm, and its all on the quiet. In practice if they have import permits, export permits, a different states int'l firearms permit, probably there would be no problem flying out from Darwin with a firearm. Is it worth the risk of legal problems?

On forums such as this, we can't recommend that of course. Could get the writer in trouble. One of our NE members also warns the US Lacey Act (?) could be used against the US citizen if the wrong thing happened and some a-hole in the US decided to act on it. I guess it could be defined as illegal hunting overseas?

I think the NT laws are due to both the NT police AND outfitters. Perhaps the outfitters wanted a 'closed shop'. Foreign hunters having to use an outfitter? If not, the police may have wanted to restrict firearms brought in to be controlled by licensed outfitters or target clubs? here would have been no one to argue for the independent hunter without an outfitter. Doesn't matter, its how the law is interpreted in the NT.

No problem at all in bringing in a firearm if booking with an outfitter and leaving enough time for the paperwork to be done in advance. Pretty straightforward.

BTW just like in Australia where the average firearms licensee has no real knowledge of international firearms permits, it is the SAME for the USA. The USA is not straight forward for a foreignor to bring in a firearm. And especially if transitting, say to Canada, it is next to impossible to carry a firearm through the USA. Never done it myself, but have heard the stories. If one is not hunting in the USA, have an outfitter to back it up, close to impossible to get an international permit for the USA. Maybe a US citizen providing legal hunting on their land might work as well? Might find out one day for myself.
I imagine attending a target shooting event would also assist in an international US permit. So if transiting the USA say to hunt in Canada, it might be necessary to also do a hunt in the USA somewhere providing documentation. Or attend some shooting event.

Bureaucrats are arseholes everywhere in the world.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com