NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/05/19 01:32 PM
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action

Quote:

A modern bolt-action should be instantly convertible from right to left-hand operation. About one customer in six is left-handed, and should not need to put in for special consideration.

What an ugly rifle that would be. Also known as a semi auto rifle.

And I don't need no sinister rifles!

Quote:

The modern bolt-action should feature a rotary box magazine with a shoulder detent to avoid masking soft-point spitzers flat while waiting their turn. (Personally, I would prefer something on the order of Savage 99, but the Mannlicher-type - if made of steel - would do as well.)

As ugly as they are, a removable box magazine is very handy. For those of us who shoot herds of beasties.

Also permits carrying extras.

Quote:

The modern bolt-action should permit direct feeding into the chamber without use of the magazine.

Absolutely.

Quote:

The modern bolt-action should feature a strong, simple, single-stage trigger, releasing without apparent motion at 50 oz or a bit less.

No,it should have a modern mauser type set trigger. Push it forward and it becomes very light.

Quote:

While I have certain reservations (along with my good friend and mentor Ian McFarlane of Okavango) about mechanical safety latches, it would be impossible to sell a rifle that did not include one. It should be operable with either hand. It should not extrude from the rifle to catch on things (as is the case with the Winchester three-position safety.) And it should disconnect the trigger and sear from the striker, while at the same time positively locking the striker. (People who count upon a safety latch to render a firearm inoperable are living in a dream world.)

The shotgun style safety is the best.

Quote:

And last but not least, the modern bolt-action should be factory-fitted with an integral ghost ring aperture sight mounted in the receiver bridge, as was the case with the old ZKK. Telescope sights are here to stay, but they do not invalidate the need for reserve iron sights, and those iron sights should be efficient, as opposed to the V-shaped arrangements now considered factory standard.

Yes.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com