NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/04/19 05:44 PM
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got?

Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has a gun or gun type they always wanted but due to time, lifestyle, finances or even manufacturing difficulties never got around to? Don't everyone say a royal grade double in 577 nitro

One I always wanted was a 'cape gun' in a heavy calibre. This would have been my ultimate man toy, 12ga 3.5" one barrel, and 577 nitro the other. Expensive, difficult or impossible to find makers. I looked at large shotgun conversions, called heym( and then had a siezure at their quote) bothered a few semi- retired bigbore builders over the decades but never pulled it off, or even really found a starting angle I thought would work out.

The other was a double 4 bore percussion muzzleloader, stoked hot with 1750 grain bullets to over 1500fps. There are guys who can do it, reasonably priced too a fraction of a double breechloader. But the issue importing something with 4 bore barrels to Australia by the late 2000's with all the US/Aus import/export whackiness put me off each time. There were 1 or 2 makers here who could do it too, howver they faced the same concern bringing barrels in, which they could not make.

In answer to your question.

I posted some images of a cape gun in 12 gauge and .577 LN (light nitro) many years ago, perhaps 2003. It was made on a Greener Empire Shotgun by Ralf Babnick (splg?) then at Century Firearms. The same maker and similar to the fdouble rifle he also made called by Marrakai "the Fat Lady" and now owned by another forum member. It is a double rifle in .577 LN as well.

I contacted Ralf Babnick years ago to see if he would make something similar to me, and he informed me he no longer made such examples. He mentioned the cost was such that buying one from a double rifle maker was reasonable, I'm not sure, as .577 DR's can be quite expensive. I would assume liability and risk might also be an issue for someone making on commission rifles on shotgun actions. Which might also have played a part in his decisions.

I will see if I can find the thread from the past. Maybe give you some ideas.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com