Pottsy
(.224 member)
30/05/05 08:53 AM
Re: 450 Marlin for DG

In reply to:

Pottsy

I guess that's what a good safe heavy loaded revolver is for, those close surprises when you can't get your carbine into action. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 45-70 if you use it for what it was made for, shorter distances and up to 150 yds. I still have mine (3) and still love them. It's just I have many other bigger rifles to use for really big stuff and have every confidence that they will do the job (375 H&H, 375 Ultra, 416 Rigby, 458 WM, & 458 Lott). I no longer have a double at the moment but will take care of that in a little while.

Thank's for the reply guy

Well said ... when i am out there i am not about to drag my Ruger M77 458 it weighs somthing like 16 Lb's Forget that noses My 35x378 weighs somthing like 29 ?+ Lb's that isn't going to happen any time soon this little Marlin is about the most light weight little critter i have ever pack out .

And there is now way on this earth you or anyone else is going to get me to lug this over weight zillion year old
Brno 416 Rigby any place soon save the 40 feet from up stairs to the basemnet to test bullets in
i would part with it but it was dad's

I don't shoot the 45/70 anything over 200 Feet theres no scope on it to start with and i don't want to start trying to make this thing some kind of bench rest rifle
it is what it is .

And as for a handgun i have my 1973 44 Automag i bought
my 29 is almost as big with the 8 3/8's but when i bought that over price shinny stop sign i was a kid and wanted to make sure everyonje knew i have a really cool pistol thats why i got the crome plated vertion god its an eye sore.

The bullet's i make up for my 45/70 for Couger could/should never be use on game a person plains to eat
thay make a hole like the holland tunnel going in and coming out IF thay do make it out.

For me its a case of if i owned Ed Hubel's 700 Hubel express i would make up diffrent bullet's for it diffrent from the ones i do make and i would use it to hunt Couger
although it does weigh a ton Well not quite but the point is that i want the biggest light weight rifle i can use again those couger i have messed up years ago and took it for granted that thay were just an over sized house cat and could be taken down with about any size rifle ..And thay can but if a person doesn't kill them in the first shot and thay get away ...well a wounded couger is no a house cat it a house cat on staroids x 10 .

and having to track a super POed couger into rocky crags with millions of hiding places is no fun and worrying about it popping out and snapping my head off wasn't much fun.

Anyway .. i am rambling again ...

Thanks for the welcome to the board guy

Contact Us NitroExpress.com