Ripp
(.577 member)
16/01/19 02:42 PM
Re: 2 Bore vs 470 Nitro pic..... perspective.. :)

Quote:

Was there ever a real old days 2 Bore Rifle cartridge or only Shot Gun cartridge ?

Looks awesome !

Why YES, there actually was..can you imagine??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_bore

Excerpt:

2 bore was the largest size ever created for a shoulder rifle. This caliber was used by European hunters, notably the British, in tropical climates of Africa and India in the 19th century for hunting large dangerous game animals. Loaded with black powder, it was unpopular due to thick smoke and excessive recoil. The rifle was fired from the shoulder by one person. Larger guns existed, such as the punt gun, but these were only fired supported and generally from a prone position. Sir Samuel White Baker, British explorer and hunter of the Victorian era, was impressed by its power, but heavily disapproved of the recoil. He narrates dashing adventures with his two-bore rifle, which he affectionately referred to as "Baby":

Among other weapons, I had an extraordinary rifle that carried a half-pound percussion shell—this instrument of torture to the hunter was not sufficiently heavy for the weight of the projectile; it only weighed twenty pounds: thus, with a charge of ten drachms [270 grains] of powder, behind a half-pound shell, the recoil was so terrific, that I spun around like a weathercock in a hurricane. I really dreaded my own rifle, although I had been accustomed to heavy charges of powder, and severe recoil for some years. None of my men could fire it, and it was looked upon with a species of awe, and it was named "Jenna-El-Mootfah" (Child of a Cannon) by the Arabs, which being far too long a name for practice, I christened it the "Baby;" and the scream of this "Baby" loaded with a half-pound shell was always fatal. It was far too severe, and I very seldom fired it, but it is a curious fact, that I never fired a shot with that rifle without bagging: the entire practice, during several years, was confined to about twenty shots. I was afraid to use it; but now and then it was absolutely necessary that it should be cleaned, after months of staying loaded. On such occasions my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter), and the "Baby" flying some yards behind them. This rifle was made by Holland & Holland, of Bond Street, and I could highly recommend it for the Goliath of Gath, but not for the men of A.D. 1866.[1]

— Sir Samuel White Baker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com