bigboar
(.224 member)
15/09/18 10:35 PM
Re: CZ 550 in .505 Gibbs

I had to go find my old passwd just to log in and say I have one of the CZ550 in 505 Gibbs and I just love this rifle. It is my all time favorite firearm. The old 602 Mauser action is classic. The stock, MY stock, is a very nice straight grain walnut and GRACEFUL for size. Appropriate stock might be better way to state. Now, this exact same gun is available in 375 H&H and in that case it is way to much wood and steel for a 375. For a 505 it is just right.

As for recoil, they do kick. I am shooting factory equivalent loads as well as 600 gr at 2400 fps hand loads. I use a shooting vest. If it was easy, I would be looking for something bigger! I shoot for two reasons one is to relax and the other is too challenge myself and improve. That applies to bulls eye 22 pistol upto big bore rifles. Just plinking to burn ammo is fine to relax, then there is shooting to improve my skills.

If I were to hunt the big 5, and it not going to happen, just saying 'if', then I would be using some 40 caliber magnum. The is my limit where I can shoot well, shoot fast and still carry the gun.

I have a 458 and its a bit much to ever hunt while not challenging enough to give me the satisfaction I get from firing the big 50. Dont get me wrong, the 458's are a good choice for a big bore rifle. They are just a over my easy to shoot comfort zone and now that I have a 50, they dont quite rock my world either.

The CZ550 was a game changer for me. I now have several. Until these guns were re-intoduced, the old 602 was just a legend. Now this gun is back and at an affordable price. I still see older 505's for 20,000$. Those days are over. Anyone with the desire can have a 404, 416, 458, 505 and others in magnum action with an ample magazine capacity. No longer an elite club. Tough luck for the elite who have 20k guns from back in the day where there were so few options.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com