szihn
(.400 member)
12/08/18 08:00 AM
Re: 416-375

I like the 416 Taylor best of all the 416s out there.

Because it fits in a standard length action (or your Enfield too if you'd like) it's a lot less expensive to make a rifle for this cartridge then the larger magnums, and at a given budget (lets say $3000 for an example) you get a nicer gun because you have less in parts, brass and dies and that leaves more for wood and gunsmithing. It illustrate the point, you can start with a $250 action, add a $80 safety, a $75 bolt handle, about $50-$75 worth of smithing on the feed lips, and you are ready to put in the barrel.

If you use the same barrel with the same sights and the same front swivel as you would on a classic 416 Rigby the barrel work costs the same amount to the cent.

If you want to scope the rifles the cost of the base is only $30 and the cost to install it is only about $20

So in other words the action is ready to be barreled at around $500 and the brass is standard 458 Winchester, so it's pretty cheep too. You use the same bullets as the Rigby, Remington, Weahterby, or any other 416. Those bullets still go at the classic speed for the old 416 Rigby, (2350 to 2400 FPS) and it's identical in performance.

The rifle comes in slimmer in many cases then the bigger magnums and can be made a bit lighter if you'd like. This makes for a handier and livelier rifle too. Easier to shoulder fast and easier to carry around the action.

I own a classic 404 Jeffery made with the "pregnant fish" magazine and I really like it because its made the old fashioned way the Brits made the big guns from the 1910 to 1920 era, and it looks cool. They just scream of the classic era of Africa. So to the fat 416 Rigbys.

But for actual hunting I have to admit, the standard size actions carry better and handle faster.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com