Schauckis
(.300 member)
13/05/18 03:10 AM
Re: Take Down Bolt Gun

To answer the original question: No, I cannot.

However, I have some pointers.

First off, my take-down Winchester model 1895. Not a bolt, but I took the take-down route.
The threads are just the original threads with which the barrel is attached to the frame.
It was supposed to become a cut thread, but as it proved difficult and there are only 8 rounds to twist so it remained as it is.
The downside is that this is a bit loose - the hotter it gets, the worse it is. This rifle cannot be used on safari. Alas, there are two zebras that fell victim to this.
But it groups well - under one inch @ 100 meters.
The lock is conical and it is supposed to keep the barrel tight but there is a bit of slack. An adjustable sleeve would cure the problem. We considered this but ditched the idea as too expensive.
The 'smith used a shotgun fore-end lock for this. Good idea and it works well.
This is a neat set-up and works splendidly up to about a hundred meters. Ideal, indeed, for driven hunt and bigger game. Say, wild boar, moose and bear.

Barrel

Barrel

Frame/receiver end

Shotgun lock on the fore-end

I also have a Verney-Carron take-down bolt action gun. It is a factory take-down.
The system is ingenious and not unlike many others.
The two screws on the side tighten the barrel against the action. The idea is to remove all slack and to ensure the barrel centers correctly and identically each time.
After loosening the screws you push a button on the other side of the gun and pull off the barrel.
I think this is what you'd call a bayonet system.
Switch barrels in various calibers are available.
This was a demonstrator at the dealer so it has probably been taken apart and put together numerous times. It works flawlessly and groups astonishingly well however many times you take it apart and put together again.
This model has been discontinued. You can find some in Canada (see Trade Ex Canada) but I don't know if they were ever imported to the U.S.

The screws and the barrel off

The button to release the barrel

The third one I have in mind is the Sauer 202 Take-Down. Take note: there are two variants. One is the standard one where you loosen the screws and detach the action from the stock.
The take-down (TD) version is an actual take-down. The model name contains the letters T.D. Alas, I have no photos - you'll need to Google it, I'm afraid.
The barrel and fore-end are detached by pushing a button at the tip of the fore-end. I think there are ball-bearing looking locking lugs. No screws, no nothing.
The bolt goes into the barrel. The locking lugs thus always tighten the barrel when the bolt is closed. The V-C has the same system.
This model, too, has been discontinued and I know it is hard to find on the second hand market even in Europe. If you want one, look in Sweden at torsbohandels.com - they are the only ones I know of who have them on stock. I know they are reluctant to sell abroad so if you want one, try to find a local dealer who will help you with the export.
This is a phenomenally good gun and possibly the best factory gun ever made bar none. Three of my friends have them and each time I handle one I kick myself for not buying one, too.
I believe this is close to identical to the Schultz & Larsen take-down - note: It, too has two variants where the standard model is a semi-take-down where the action comes off the stock (the Traveller model); and the take-down where you remove the barrel by operating a lever underneath the gun. I think it is no longer made. There are some good photos on the 'net to be found.

The Sauer and the Schultz & Larsen are the only factory take-down bolt-action guns I know of that you can actually take apart without any tools at all. They both allow for barrels in other calibers, as well. If the base diameter of the cartridge changes then there is a need for an additional bolt.
The semi-take-downs and the new Sauer 404 require tools.

If I were to go down the take-down route as a custom job based on an existing gun, I'd probably look at the options where you take the action off from the stock.
It'll be easier that way I think. To get the barrel to fit tightly and reliably again would be a challenge and probably quite expensive, too.

- Lars/Finland

Contact Us NitroExpress.com