Ripp
(.577 member)
03/05/18 12:35 PM
Re: Head-to-head- 416-Rigby-vs-416-Remington-magnum

Quote:

Re the Taylor.

This is a Woodleigh 416 cal 400grain Hydro fired from my Rigby. Muzzle velocity 2550fps it achieves this velocity with the same powder charge as the 410 Woodleigh Soft nose that gets 2450 fps. Entered chest of Buff at 50mts stopped just short of the skin in the rump, after going through the pelvic bone as well. My point is these seat fairly deep as do other monometals like Barnes. So if you want to use these and get some workable velocities out of them, I would suggest you will need an action capable of taking a 375H&H length case or a wide body case like the 416Ruger simply because you will loose a lot of the needed powder space in the 30-06 length action.

That is impressive performance--thank you so much for posting..

My fist buff I shot in Zim was all riled up..we have been chasing him on foot, off and on for a little over 3 hours..finally got a shot into his chest..he turned and ran away..but it was a clearing..dumped 3 Barnes solids into his rump..we only recovered 1 of the 3..the others exited the neck area..had those loaded with a mv around 2450fps... have always been impressed with the penetration of bullets like that..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com