NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/03/18 01:26 PM
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday.

Haha, lots of rubbish being written as if recoil doesn't exist and isn't a real factor.

Recoil is relevant both to the calibre and to the individual person. Plus the situation.

1. A formula exists where the weight of the rifle, the weight of the powder cahrge, projectile, and velocity creates two recoil numbers, recoil energy and recoil velocity. They are scientific facts. The more of each, the more it will hurt or be felt.

2. Stock shape can have an effect in how recoil energy and velocity is directed. A bad stock, will hurt more.

3. Each individual will handle it different, and over time possibly differently. I started with a .222 then a .30-06. I didn't like the .30-06's recoil. I was sixteen or so. Later got a .375, the .30 no longer bothered me, the .375 really hurt. I did end up one day shooting 30 or 40 rounds at a target in summer with just a light shirt on, from the bench. I ended up with a black, ie actual solid black fist sized bruise on my shoulder. I remember at the end each shot used to hurt to the tip of my finger tips. Then I got a .450 and the .375 no longer hurt anymore or not as much. etc etc.

Smaller persons will feel recoil more. Larger person in theory less. Lighter framed persons generally more, etc. But not this is not consistent. It depends on the individual.

4. The situation. Shooting from a bench, ouch! Shooting a charging buffalo, "what recoil!". A lot of it is mental and of course physical as a result. If you expect recoil, your body is tenser and the recoil encounters a solid muscle mass, not a flexible backstop which moves with the recoil.

BTW I have ended up with the barrel of my rifles near vertical on some shots. Others not at all. It depends on the calibre AND on the situation. One time I remember shooting a running pig crossing in front of me. I was sitting in the front seat of a jeep. My body position probably effect how the barrel snapped. The recoil was there, but not a problem as I was concentrating on the running shot.

Enough on recoil.

Caspar, enjoy your new rifle. The .378 may be a "medium" calibre but it does recoil. I'd be doing any range shooting from a standing rest. Same as I do for my .375 and larger.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com