35Whelen
(.224 member)
07/03/18 10:37 PM
Certus rifle 450/400

Hello everyone,
I have been a member of the forum for some time; sadly not a very active one. Until now that is.
I bought a rifle some years ago which has been languishing awaiting revival. It is a big bore Certus. I include some pictures of things that baffle me.
The questions I am trying to answer are follows:
a) The safety does not work and someone seems to have switched the lever from one side of the bolt to another. Is this a classic case of amateur gunsmithing or could there be another reason?
b) The barrel has been shortened - again amateur work or has anyone seen another rifle with a shortened barrel.
c) Is there any literature on these?
d) I live in the UK. Is there anyone who can restore such gun? I think it needs a new barrel - the bore is clean but rifling looks weaker that I would expect. Safety needs sorting.
e) How does one get the bolt out?
f) The trigger guard is screwed into the stock with two (not original looking) wood screws. Is it just the screws that are non original or is the method of attachment also dubious.
It is a fascinating gun. If anyone has one or has any information they could share, that would be great.
Thank you
John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com