Nick_Adams
(.300 member)
04/05/05 11:17 AM
Re: CZ 404 Jeffrey

Thanks for the replies.

After a little more digging, I found that CZ jazzed up their "plain jane" Safari 550 for these calibers only:

* .404 Jeff

* .450 Rigby

* .505 Gibbs.

You can see a picture of the rifle on CZ-USA's website. It's called the "Safari Classic" 550 and, while it's based on the same 550 action, it comes in a fancy grade American dark walnut stock (no "hog back" pitch to it), has a barrel band sling mount (no foreend nut to bang your off-hand), a 25" barrel and express sights. (The recoil pad looks to be a Pachmyr decelerator, but CZ didn't specify).

CZ further says the .404 SC 550 weighs in at 9.97lbs, has a 4-round mag capacity and a 13.75" LOP.

In a thread on AR about the CZ 404s, a poster stated that the SC 550s are running about $1700. He also stated that CZ is using custom .404 McGowen barrels with a 1-in-10 twist, which might account for the higher price, 'cause the barrel band mount alone sure wouldn't.

I haven't seen any other corroborating sources for this last info, so I'm just passing it on F.Y.I., with the usual caveats about the validity of internet sources, etc., but the other info above is from CZ's site.

Stay tuned.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com