Postman
(.375 member)
26/08/17 10:47 PM
Re: "Why Magazine Big-Bore Rifles are Best" by Jacques Lott

Quote:

May I add pump actions too.
Then they are fourth best.
IMHO pump action is #1.

Now THAT is an interesting point of view indeed!!!!!!! If there was a big bore pump, say in a .416 Rigby, then we've REALLY got something serious in our hands, pardon the pun!!!!

A nicely broken in Remington 760 or 7600 operates liquid smooth, and can be accurized to an acceptable level. The sheet metal magazine is a piece of junk, but that shouldn't be too hard to remedy. Now, if one could enlarge the action to be able to handle the big rimless Rigby, then we've got some serious Buffalo medicine!!!!! Unfortunately, the redesign and the retooling costs make this nothing more than a distant pipe dream. Of course one could not count on Remington to build it right either.

A better option would be a Blaser R8. Suitably reconfigured as a pump action, it would work wonderfully!!!.... it would be ergonomically far superior to the current straight pull bolt format and I would buy one without hesitation!!!!!!! To build it with action bars and a slide mechanism for the forend isn't out of the realm of posssibility.......... I wonder if there would be enough demand and acceptance from the hunting community to compel Blaser to consider it?

I've often contemplated the R93 and then the R8 as a good candidate for a pump action, particularly so every time I pull the straight pull bolt open and have to move my head off the stock to prevent getting smacked in the face with the bolt. It may be faster than a regular bolt but not by much as it still threatens to smack you in the face when opening the action. The Blaser straight pull "faster" is mostly marketing bullshit until they can solve for the issue of having to break one's cheek weld to work the action - a pump would do this.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com