NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/05/03 10:38 PM
A revolution in Big Bore rifles?

OK this is a theoretical discussion but I believe it would be of great merit if the concept was properly pursued.

Remington introduced the the .22 Accelerator range of cartridges in 1977 with a .30-06 with a .224 bullet loaded in a plastic sabot and driven at 4,080 fps ! Accuracy was similar to other factory loaded cartridges and I can vouch for that. I used to get 2 1/2 inches from my .30-06 but with the last box was getting one hole three shot groups. My main problem was that the Accelerator cartridges was the group was hitting about 3 or 4 feet higher than my usual 150 gr Noslers.

Other Accelerators introduced were a .308 at 3,770 fps and a .30-30 at 3,400 fps.

It was reported that Remington was going to introduce other Accelerators but this never happened.

Now to my point, using some simple comparisons. Instead of a highly fragile .224 bullet at extreme speeds, what if Accelerators were made with say a 100 gr 6 mm projectile or a 7 mm 150 gr or 160 gr projectile. Using the same .084 differential between the .224 and .308 Accelerator a 6 mm Accelerator could be fired in a 8 mm and a 7 mm projectile fired in a 9.3 mm. A .308 or .338 projectile could be fired in a .416 and a .375 in a .458.

Obtaining hunting velocities wouldn't be a problem at all, indeed experimentation might be needed to ensure velocities were tamed so bullet performance is maintained.

The world one gun hunting battery would be obtainable. A .375 could be used in conjunction with 7 mm bullets and 6 mm bullets or with the normal bullets for large game. A .375 could be the ultimate flat shooting plains or mountain rifle. A good set of QD mounts and several scopes set up for the different loads.

Why did Remington not continue with the idea?

Well I think the idea was successful and could have been extended to non-.224 bullets but perhaps Remington also happens to manufacture and sell rifles. Possibly together with other rifle manufacturers they got together and decided - "NO WAY! we are going to kill off our rifle markets and the number of new rifles sold will plummet!". The need for new rifles in the latest and greates re-creations of old and existing belted magnum, non-belted standard, ultra, express, short cartridges everyone must have would cease to exist. (Note this is conjecture and opinion and not fact).

I wonder who owns the patent to the Accelerator concept and whether the owner, presumably Remington, would allow the concept to be better exploited? I think not.

I welcome your comments. Especially any experience with sabots in sporting ammunition and any knowledge of the use of larger than .224 sabots.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com