eagle27
(.400 member)
13/03/17 04:36 PM
Re: Blind magazine for DG rifle?

Quote:

This is another one of those which is best discussions with not necessarily a "right" answer. I like a DM because I need to load /unload when getting in and out of vehicles and at other times during the hunt, and I really dislike policing ejected loaded cartridges out of deep snow, mud, leaf piles, etc.....

It is strictly forbidden to have a loaded rifle in a motorized vehicle, boat ATV etc in Canada where I do the vast majority of my hunting so a DM becomes quite convenient.

I have never had the misfortune of losing a DM in a good quality rifle, although I have experienced popped floor plates AND issues with DMs when not properly inserted in the cheaper Remington rifles that I found much favour with as a younger poorer man.

I now like my Sako Kodiak .375 with DM and had absolutely no worries about losing a mag on my last DG hunt. I'm familiar with the rifle and I trust it now after some good time in the bush with it.

I do have a Heym Express .416 Rigby on order and yet to be delivered, but I honestly don't recall which type of mag it has!!!????? I guess I'll find out on delivery. It won't bug me much either way and I'll adapt as required, so long as whichever system it uses works as designed.

I would agree a DM does have advantages when wanting to remove cartridges from a rifle although I do know of several who have lost their DMs in the field. My nephew was one, high up in the Alps and snow after Tahr and didn't know what caused him to look down, perhaps a slight noise but low and behold here was the DM from his Tikka T3 slowing disappearing in the snow, very lucky as it was a helicopter trip in for a week. Of course he could have used the Tikka single shot but not ideal on Tahr.

Here in NZ our firearms laws are similar in terms of a loaded firearm in a vehicle but that also includes rounds in a DM even when detached from the rifle i.e. a charged magazine in a compartment in a vehicle is a loaded firearm. This is used to judge intent when apprehending poachers or crims.

I suppose it depends on the firearm but I find emptying my Marlin blind magazine easier and less likely to spill cartridges than flipping the hinged mag on my Mauser and spilling cartridges into the hand without dropping on the ground.

I have used the 303 SMLE rifles a lot and they do have a good solid clipped in DM but other rifles I'm always a little wary of them.

I don't really have a preference blind or hinged and take the point about custom rifles or cheaper rifles but that is something I don't personally really care for anyway. I by far prefer functionality over looks provided it is not butt fugly but others have their preferences too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com