Ripp
(.577 member)
24/02/17 03:47 AM
Re: Dangerous-game-rifles-The-roaring-forties--by David E Petzal

Quote:

A top read, thanks for posting Ripp.

I find myself agreeing with him.

I as well agree with what he said...I had the opportunity of shooting a western cape buffalo while in Cameroon a couple weeks back..this is the first one I ever shot with a .375H&H...while I know you cant judge accurately by one occurrence..from what I saw versus the other 3 I have shot with my .416 Remington, the difference on the initial hit was very noticeable.. my experience has been when you hit them with the .416 the hit stuns them--its very noticeable ..didn't see that on the initial shot with the .375..it was like I just shot an elk with a .270 vs a 338...the stun effect was not there...

Dead is dead, and we found him about 300 yards away dead..BUT, 300 yards is a long ways to travel after a good solid hit ..I was using 300 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws..I have the recovered bullet..retained 92% of its weight..perfect mushroom...

My thoughts were, as we were tacking him through about 8-10 ft high grass is that a buffalo that is able to travel 300 yards after a hit, should he decide to, could really ruin your day given the chance..

I really liked using the .375H&H for the bigger plains game..eland, roan, hartebeest, etc...worked excellent and not much recoil in the Sako Model 75, in fact was really surprised of the "lack" of recoil from that rife....BUT, if I were to just hunt buffalo, I would reach for one of my .416's...no comparison..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com