DoubleD
(.400 member)
26/12/16 06:57 AM
Re: Ruger M77 458 win mag tang safety.

A very long time ago I did General gun repair-Gunsmithing-mid 1980's.

I had number of these guns brought in because of the bad Wilson barrels. I do not know how the word got out about the bad barrels because even back then advertisers, and especially Ruger carried a heavy hand in the editorial room of the gun rags. But it was common rumor.

I never saw a barrel that would not shoot. The problem when really scrutinized was the gun wouldn't shot to the same spot. Pretty obvious to me barrels weren't bad, something was wrong with sighting system.

I tracked it to the rings and in particular the screw and clamp nut-they were soft. For years River denied this problem. Some years later Ruger changed the nuts and screws to harder make and the problem went Away.

I had one way to fix this problem. I drilled and tapped the action for a scope base and rings and tossed the Rugers. I don't recall if it was Redfield or Leupold who made them but one did. Towards the end of my career Millet introduced replacement rings with harden screws and clamp nuts and I used them.

That was as the only problem I ever saw on Ruger rifles when I physically worked on them.

I liked that tang safety.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com