**DONOTDELETE**
()
27/03/05 09:56 PM
Re: 450 Rigby

bjlooper

There are a couple of pluses I can think for the 450 Rigby.

If Clymer reaming drawings are correct then it has a short freebore whereas the 460 is extremely long in freebore. This would make the 450 Rigby superior for reduced loads that go below 458 Win power as ignition will be better and especially if bullets can be seated on the rifling.

I suppose if someone is doing a Mauser type rifle then the 450 Rigby seems to fit better from the point of view of just seeming "more right"

If we were talking 416 Rigby and 416 Wby then we could say 416 Rigby ammo is lower power and recoil which is also the case for the 450 Rigby but I think 450 Rigby factory ammo is a not a real viable situation at the moment. But that might change if CZ-USA have success with their 450 Rigby chambered rifle.

Lastly, the 450 Rigby is probably a more straight forward conversion of the CZ 416 Rigby than would be the case for the 460 Wby.

An aquaintance of mine in America is torn beween to having a 460 Wby on the Granite action or a 450 Rigby and for him the 460 Wby wins the practical race with no contest but the 450 Rigby seems "more right" in the Granite Magnum Mauser.

Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com