buckstix
(.400 member)
17/12/15 09:17 PM
Re: 1836 Needle Gun - Dreyse Faucet Breech Rifle - Info WTD

Hello Daryl_S,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is in my future plans. However, I must be careful in using the correct size bullet, so it doesn't fit "too" tight in the chamber in case I have a miss-fire. Because then it requires removing the bullet, something not easily done if the bullet is "tight" in the little chamber.

Hello lancaster,

Thanks for the reply.

If you ever see any published information about bullet weight or velocity, please let me know. Maybe you could weigh an original cartridge and estimate the weight of the components.

About welding, I actually talked with a professional welder and asked him about tig-welding the broken tab. He was concerned that there was a possibility of damaging the thin spring, and then I would have to have a new one fabricated. This would be very costly, and not worth the effort.

In looking at photos of similar rifles, I have seen some with the "tab" missing. So their bolt must be locked closed also.

Maybe if someday I were to find an original replacement spring, I would weld up the small hole. But for now, I'll leave it as is and enjoy shooting it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com