93x64mm
(.416 member)
13/11/15 08:35 AM
Re: classic big bore on a p17 enfield.

Had a chat to an old mate the other day, he came over to see how I was going. The same topic came up in regard to an old Winchester P14 that I have - should I ever convert it.
As I have a 500 in a Ruger No1, his thoughts were to go to a .450 Rigby as I have a .404 & to split the difference so to speak & yet stay with a more 'classic' calibre rather than a .460 G&A which even though is a very efficient cartridge, well its not one of the more recognised classics so to speak. No I'm not a real fan of belted cartridges & go to say a .470 Capstick, that's just me; even though I have a .308 Norma!
Have to agree with ol' mate there, its a more 'modern classic' choice I guess!
If you have a hankering for the 50's in a bolt then it would be a VERY hard choice for you to make, both have their pro's & cons; the .505 can punch thru 18" hardwood gum trees & then still keep going! I was privileged enough to have a crack a one a few years back - what a blast that was!
On the other hand I know Dave Commons who run CBE now; his .500 Jeffery (based on a P14/M17) shoots clover leafs all day long with no sign of a hiccup & can she rattle them out!
I don't envy you Ducmarc one little bit, it would be terrible choice to make.
Best of British so to speak!
Cheers
93x64mm

Contact Us NitroExpress.com