csutton7
(.275 member)
03/03/05 06:04 PM
Re: 458 lott and A-square ammo

Mehul--thanks--but I'm not sure it's a 100% ammo prob yet--read below---

I posted this on the AR thus some names will make no sense--

I've been tinkering(massaged the bottom of the ramp and the follower(thanks to Zimbabwe) and polish) and let's say we call the first round put in the mag box it #5, then #4 and so on to #1---

#1 hangs up--the belt on the round gets right to the step in the feed rail when it binds--there's no burr--it's getting pinched in 3 places--the actual bullet is in the chamber and sitting tight up against the top of the chamber, then it's hitting the ramp and finally the rail comes into play--

#2 feeds with a slight hiccup once in awhile--just needs a tad more force to send it home--not much but more than #4 & #5

#3 is like #1

#4 & #5 are great as long as they are close to being tight to the feed rail--this came to fruition with Zimbabwe's tip--massaged the follower and no probs with these two rounds, as long at they are in position--which they pretty much seem to be every time(need to cycle a bunch more to be 100% sure)

my first thought is maybe the spring is too stiff and won't allow the rounds in the mag to be pushed down so that it can be sent home---

then I thought could this A-Square stuff be too long--so I measured it---3.512"--well within the 3.6" max--

is the mag box to tight side to side for the rounds to move freely--they come up pretty good and seem to move down ok when I push them, but maybe it's too tight when trying to cycle the action??

the last two work great--so I don't think it's the ammo being too long--

the spring may have a slight say in the matter, but I'm not sure--

can it be the rails aren't cut right--I'm fairly sure if I take that step back an 1/8" or so my probs are history--same if I wack the very top of the ramp, but the ramp I think is the last place to play for now--

one other thing is to massage the inside of the mag box and the underneath sides of the rails to give the ammo some side to side movement--but the mag box is so thin I'm not sure this will help, but maybe---

can some of you guys measure the length of you ammo and tell me what you get and then check your bullets inside the mag box and let me know if there's some play side to side--

chris

Contact Us NitroExpress.com