csutton7
(.275 member)
03/03/05 10:23 AM
458 lott and A-square ammo

Well I decided(finally) the other day to see how my A-square ammo fed in me Lott--it's the only ammo I have, as it was the only ammo available at the time I purchased my rifle--

it didn't feed--round 1-5 stuck each time on the ramp as it was being pushed forward into the chamber--and I mean stuck- not even double stroking or more would get them to feed--would mar the case pretty good--

so I called Jim Brockman and asked him if there was an option--before I sent it to him--he told me to be very careful--so take note that you are your own warranty station if you do this and have no one to blame if you muck it up--

massage the ramp was his answer and polish the rails and check the extractor-- DO NOT decrease the height of the ramp--just lessen the angle a tad--and be careful on the ramp and extractor(I won't play with the extractor as I don't think it's the prob)--

so I did--it now is working a whole lot better, but it's still not right, as rounds will still get stuck--some will feed and some won't and it's not always the same ones that get stuck--

I noticed also that my follower won't always sit level or push the next round up tight to the bottom of the rail-- so over on AR I got some tips and I've ordered another spring from Brownells--- Mauser + 10%---we shall see if this helps--if it does make it better then I will maybe massage the rails next to help also---

I also called CZ USA to ask them, but they don't have a stronger spring, but they did send me one of the stock springs free of charge--

now this could be just an A-Square dilemna also, but until I get some time to make up some reloads this is what I have to work with and they should feed regardless if I use them for hunting or not---I have the solids, dead tough and lion load and they all got or get stuck now at some point--

I'll keep ya posted as this goes on--

again proceed with caution if you tackle this job--

chris

Contact Us NitroExpress.com